This weekend’s adventure in the kitchen is a warm chickpea salad with caramelised onions and grilled red peppers. Chickpea salads with herbs and a quick dressing of lemon, olive oil and black pepper are my favourite quick snack after running, but this evening , I decided that this salad needed a bit more substance for a dinner. With the addition of a tomato, spring onions, caramelised onion and garlic, a grilled red pepper and cumin, this salad and some crusty bread made a delicious, filling meal.
1 tin chickpeas
1 red pepper
1 red onion
1 clove of garlic
2 spring onions
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1) Turn on grill to high. Cut pepper in half, remove seeds and pith, and place on the grill pan. Leave under the grill until the skin starts to blacken and blister (20 minutes). If you’re in a rush, raw pepper will add a fresh taste to this salad.
2) Meanwhile, dice the onions and crush the garlic. Gently sweat the onion and garlic with the ground cumin in a frying pan for 10 minutes until the onions are golden.
3) Rinse the chickpeas and place in a bowl. Dice the tomato, chop up the spring onions, and add to the chickpeas.
4) Remove the peppers from under the grill and peel the skin off them. Chop them up and add to the bowl along with the caramelised onion mixture.
5) Cut the lemon in half and mix with a little olive oil and black pepper. Pour over the chickpeas and adjust the ingredients to taste.
I was pretty impressed with this dish, seeing as I threw it together with this week’s leftover vegetables. It’s definitely going on the ‘make this again!’ list, probably with a constant rotation of vegetables to vary the flavours.
On the success/ failure scale, I’m going to give this a 5/5!